Sunday 17 June 2012

Dad's the Word...

It’s Father’s day today and I’m at my family home chilling with my dad.  With the soft vibe of reggae music playing in the background, and the smell of rice and peas going through the house, it’s always good to visit the folks at home.   

As the childhood memories start flooding back to me, I saw a lovely photograph (right) which uber talented Noel Clarke (actor, writer, director, producer) posted on twitter today of himself and his boys, with the following tweet: “Just in case you missed it. Me n my boys dedicated to good dads (and mums) everywhere” (www.twitter.com/noelclarke).

Having my dad around throughout my childhood and adult years, makes me realise how lucky I am because a lot of people are not so fortunate to have a paternal role model in their lives.  Many people don’t know who their parents are or what forms their identity (why they act and look they way do); and many people have had their mums and dads sadly pass away during their lifetime, only to have memories in their heart to look back on. 

I personally feel appreciative of all the good times, bad times and special moments I have had with my dad and recognise many of his traits in me which have made me the person I am today. 

As we honour all the dads out there today (good and bad), I also take my hat off to and feel inspired by all the devoted mums who take up the role of the father figure as the substitute dad for children without a dad in their lives.  

Whatever your situation, here's a poem from Louisa Mansfield to hopefully inspire you:

DAD POEM
Dad, When I was born,
You were there to catch me when I fall, whenever and wherever.
When I said my first words,
You were there for me,
to teach me the whole dictionary if need be.
When I took my first steps,
You were there to encourage me on.
When I had my first day at school,
you were there to give me advice and help me with my homework.
I still haven’t finished school,
or walked down the aisle, or had my first child.
But I know you will be there for me through all these times and more, the good and bad.
So I just wrote this to say 'I LOVE YOU DAD!!!'

(Louisa Mansfield)
Happy Shimmies and stay blessed this Father’s Day :)

Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment